About China Rivers Project
China Rivers Project was founded by Kristen McDonald and Travis Winn in 2007 as a project of Earth Island Institute a non-profit environmental organization established in 1982 by veteran environmentalist David Brower with the mission to develop and supports projects that counteract threats to the biological and cultural diversity that sustain the environment.
The mission of China Rivers Project is to protect China’s river heritage for people and wildlife and to foster river based recreation in China.
Our activities include:
- Educational river trips for Chinese participants, including government officials, activists, media, industry representatives, and others in influential positions, as well as community members affected by proposed river development projects
- Training trips for Chinese citizens interested in learning river recreation skills
- Informational materials on rafting and river conservation in China
- Informational events on rafting and river conservation in China
- Research on river management, ecology, and development on China’s most outstanding rivers.